Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sunday Carrot & Corriander Soup at Chez Q

 Our friend Leanne wanted the recipe for mums Carrot and Coriander soup.  So mum decided she would cook it for Sunday lunch and take some photos.

Carrot and Coriander Soup

1 tablespoon oil - we use canola oil
I/2 tespoon ground coriander seed
1 Medium onion
4 or 5 average carrots.
1 average potato.
6 cups of stock or stock/water mix
1/2 bunch of coriander/cilantro
 Mum chops up all the veg first.  No need to peel the carrots, just scrub and chop.  You do need to peel the potato, then  chop.   The first thing to do, is to heat the oil in a big pot, add the 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander and the chopped onion.  Cook on a medium heat for a couple of minutes to soften the onions, but not brown them.
 Add the six cups of water and we use two chicken stock tubs.  I would be quite happy to use 1L of pre made stock and then the same again of water.  Whatever you have on hand.  Then add the carrots and potato and season with salt and pepper.  Cook on a medium heat for about 40 minutes til the carrots and potato have softened.  Add more water if a lot has evaporated.

Then I add a 1/2 bunch of coriander, washed and chopped roughly.  I then use my stick blender to get it to the consistency I like.  The addition of potato to this soup made it lovely and thick, but you can easily leave it out.
 Serve with crusty bread - yummmmy.  This should serve four, and gives me plenty to take to work for lunch during the week.  The cost is about $5 for all that soup, so makes it fit in with our budgetising plan.  It took about 10 minutes chopping and prep time, and 40 minutes cooking.  While it was cooking, I did other stuff, as it was just cooking away by itself.
I'm getting to be a good photo bomber and try to get into all of mums photos.   I came to up to sniff her lunch, although I don't like much people food, but mum did give me a bit of her roll with butter, that I licked and then left.

Enjoy!!

12 comments:

  1. My human wants to give that a try. She is weird - she does not like cooked carrots, but she REALLY likes carrot soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy and what a lovely place outside to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I have got to try this soup! I'm going to the grocery store today so I'll add fresh cilantro to my list as I have everything else!

    Photobombing is fun, eh, Miss Pops?!

    Have a lovely day, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy! will ask Momma to try this out. She's gonna love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks yummy! I would enjoy licking the butter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Poppy was sneaking over to try the soup. It looks a lot better after you pureed it!
    Mandu
    (in cold, but sunny Connecticut)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our mom says yum! She loves soup but thought it was an all day process. (it seemed that way when my mom made it)

    Enjoy the garden Poppy! We is still looking at mounds of snow. :(

    Sasha, Sami, & Saku (Mom Eileen)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for recipe, have no corriander in garden at the moment - but as soon as I do I will be making - off to pin it to keep!
    Poppy Butter - is a goof start to human food.
    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummers! Mum thinks someone with her limited cooking skills might do ok with this. Sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete